Some background...

This blog originally started as a log of my attempts to get back into riding and getting back into shape after being down for most of a year (2009). I set a goal of riding 25 century distances (100 miles in a day OR 100 miles in a week (Sun thru Mon is my week) in a year's time. For the year's 2010 and 2011, the which I will in fact be 50, yes, fifty, 50 years immature. For the most part for this year, 2010, that is what it is, but there are so many more things I want to do, journeys to take, big and small that it will evolve into more than just a cycling journal.

This journal is primarily for me, to record what I did when, so that in 10 years I can remember it! For those that are interested and want to follow along, welcome. The writing is not great, Hemingway is resting easy I'm sure, but it is readable, if at times misspelled. Hopefully there will be some memorable days amongst all the days lived...

Monday, August 02, 2010

Week 28 7/19/2010 - 7/25/2010


The bike is in the shop this week, after dropping my chain multiple times on the Healdsburg Harvest Century, I took it for a tune up. Good thing I did, I had a cracked rim. I really need to start doing a more thorough check of my bike for mechanical problems.

But, there were big happenings this week in spite of no bike and no goal. 7/18 was my birthday, my 50th, good god, hard to believe I have been around that long. I had decided that I was going to do something this year, usually I don't make or expect a fuss. Wish me a happy birthday and I am very happy. But 50 doesn't come around more than once, so I gave it some thought and decided to rent a house in the mountains, invite some good friends up and just enjoy.

I finally found a place in Graeagle that was affordable and (just) big enough for the group invited. By the way, trying to narrow down the guest list to a group that could be accommodated was very difficult. If you are reading this, and were not invited, it is not that I don't value your friendship, I do. I finally decided to invite those individuals that I have been spending the most time with lately and that I knew had been in close quarters together before and could tolerate each other for a few days. But is was tough, I wish I could have afforded to get a place big enough for everyone that I know to come play and hang out.

We had the place from Wednesday 7/21 through Sunday 7/25. I sent out evites, my guests responded, I established a menu, my friends volunteered to bring food, wine, a good time. As the date approached, about a week out, I sent out a reminder email to everyone about who was arriving when and bringing what. I thought I was very clear and concise in my communication, but I must have been fuzzy on the dates. I received a call from the owner about 1 pm, Wed, 7/14, asking me if I was expecting to "hook up" with someone during my week, a guy was at the house looking for me. It took me a minute to figure it out, but I finally discovered that Will, good ole Onespeed, had jumped the gun and gone up a week early. Bless his little heart, it was so sweet that he was so excited to come up and spend time with me. And, he did provide good fodder for endless ribbing during the next week, when the rest of us arrived.

We spent the next 5 days eating, laughing, playing. I had a great time, I think everyone else did too. Dan loaned me his old bike so I could ride up Gold Lake Road, and he and Will road right with me the whole way. I do love them for that gift, it was so much fun. I managed to convince everyone to do the hike up to the Sierra Buttes with me, on what I think is a moderate hike, but I have been informed by everyone that my idea of moderate is askew. Ha, that will teach them, tell me the Ice House ride is just a series of rollers. HA! Seriously if it hadn't been so hot they would have just sailed up the mountain, and the views, god the views are spectacular up there. One of these days I am going to have to work up the nerve to actually make it up the ironwork staircase to the lookout it self. Maybe next year...

The week was amazing, I have the best friends I could hope for, and I am so happy they could make the time to come share my 50th birthday with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment